|Title||Presbyterian Church of Newtown|
|Collection||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|
|Photographer||Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943|
Presbyterian Church of Newtown village (originally called Middleburgh) was started by the early settlers of Newtown (English) 1651. A town house was erected which served also as a church and parsonage, 1670. In 1717 a new Church was erected on the site of the present one. While the British troops held possession of Newtown 1776-1783. It was first used as a hospital and guard house and later demolished. In 1787 the present church was erected. [handwritten on page]
Armbruster writing about settlement of Newtown and establishment of churchs. Also refers to British occupation of Newtown during American Revolutionary War.
See v1918.104.22.168 for color image of church.
Scrapbook page from "Bushwick and her neighbors, Vol.1"
Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
|Collection Finding Aid||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|