Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Suydam House (page 11 of 12)
Collection Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks
Photographer Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943
Image ID v1974.022.2.037
Date 1909
Description The Suydam House was built at intersection of Evergreen Avenue (then called New Bushwick Lane) and Woodbine Street. It was a strong, Dutch style home. Armbruster theorizes that it was probably built in the early 18th century, as it was considered an old house in 1760 when it was purchased by Jacob Suydam. During the Revolutionary War, it was used by the British troops as their winter quarters.

Pages 2 through 12 have text transcribed from "The Suydam House and the Hessians in Bushwick," the Brooklyn Corporation Manual of 1868, by J.W. Field

Scrapbook page from "Bushwick and her neighbors, Vol.2"
Place Names Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
American Revolution
American Revolutionary War
Suydam House
Evergreen Avenue
Woodbine Street (New York, N.Y.)
Subject Headings Houses
War
Farms
Copyright Public domain