|Title||[Writing about Gravesend]|
|Collection||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|
|Photographer||Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943|
Gravesend. Patent issued by Director General Kieft to Lady Deborah Moody and associates in 1643. First town patent granted by Kieft, December 19, 1645 and confirmed by Governor Lovelace in 1670 and by Governor Dougan in 1686. First church (Dutch Reformed) built very likely in 1706. Regular church organization in 1763 and also Second church building erected. Taken down 1833. Third one built 1833. Fourth one built 1894. A Confirmatory Deed of land at Gravesend signed by the Indians in 1684 who called the Indian name of the place Makeopaca. [handwritten on page]
See v19188.8.131.52 for Armbruster's sketch of Gravesend Dutch Reformed Church.
Scrapbook page from "Bushwick and her neighbors, Vol.1"
Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
Gravesend (New York, N.Y.)
Gravesend Dutch Reformed Church
|Collection Finding Aid||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|