Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Sketch of Boswijck by O'Gorman]
Collection Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks
Photographer Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943
Image ID v1974.022.2.007
Date 1909
Description Boswijck
Sketch by Wm. [William] O'Gorman, Town Clerk of Newtown
The remains of ancient Bushwijck cluster around the Dutch Reformed Chutch on the confines of North, Second, and Humbold Street, where the animosity of Governor Stuyvesant planted them in 1660, to gratify his hatred against the English Kills of Newtown. On March 14th, 1661 he probably emerged from the old Conselyea House on Hvimboldt Street - irascible old man that he was - supporting a heavy dinner on his historic wooden leg, rather unsteadied from heavy lager, and pronounced and christened the new village 'Boswijck', which the moderns have made Bushwick, the Low Dutch name for 'heavy woods.' [handwritten on page]

Scrapbook page from "Bushwick and her neighbors, Vol.2"
Place Names Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
Bushwick (New York, N.Y.)
Subject Headings Churches
Personal and Corporate Names Stuyvesant, Peter
Old Bushwick Reformed Dutch Church
Copyright Public domain