|Collection||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|
|Photographer||Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943|
Text about Port Jefferson. The cemetery of Cedar Hill is on the site of a place Native Americans called Cumsewogue. The wooded peninsula forming the eastern shore of Port Jefferson bay was called by the Puritans "Mount Misery." The village in the area had two names. The Native Americans named it Souwassett and the Puritans called in Drowned Meadows. The present name [presumably Port Jefferson] was adopted around 1840. Armbruster continues by describing the establishment of other town infrastructure such as the Roe House.
Scrapbook page from "Suffolk County, Part 1"
Long Island (N.Y.)
Port Jefferson (N.Y.)
Suffolk County (N.Y.)
Indians of North America