Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [First church in Midwout]
Collection Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks
Photographer Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943
Image ID v1974.022.1.163
Date 1907
Description Flatbush, called by the Dutch Midwout or Middlewood was first settled in 1651. In December 1654 Governor Stuyvesant gave orders that a house of public worship should be erected in the town. Sixty feet long, 38 feet wide and 14 feet high below the beams. In 1655 he issued his commands, that the people of Breukelen and Amersfort should assist the people of Midwout in getting timbers for this building. This building cost 4.637 guilders. This it appears was the first church erected on the island. [handwritten on page]
Place Names Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
Flatbush (New York, N.Y.)
Flatbush Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
Church Avenue (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
Subject Headings Churches
Building construction
Personal and Corporate Names Stuyvesant, Peter
Collection Finding Aid Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks
Copyright Public Domain