|Title||[Shelter Island (page 2 of 2)]|
|Collection||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|
|Photographer||Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943|
Description of size of Shelter Island (8000 acres) and its early settlers. Native Americans named island Manhan-sac-aha-qushu-wanock, meaning an island sheltered by other islands. Originally purchased in 1637 by James Farrett. Island incorported into town of Southold in 1730.
Scrapbook page from "Suffolk County, Part 2"
Long Island (N.Y.)
Shelter Island (N.Y.)
Suffolk County (N.Y.)