|Title||Suydam House (page 12 of 12)|
|Collection||Eugene L. Armbruster photographs and scrapbooks|
|Photographer||Armbruster, Eugene L., 1865-1943|
The Suydam House was built at intersection of Evergreen Avenue (then called New Bushwick Lane) and Woodbine Street. It was a strong, Dutch style home. Armbruster theorizes that it was probably built in the early 18th century, as it was considered an old house in 1760 when it was purchased by Jacob Suydam. During the Revolutionary War, it was used by the British troops as their winter quarters.
Pages 2 through 12 have text transcribed from "The Suydam House and the Hessians in Bushwick," the Brooklyn Corporation Manual of 1868, by J.W. Field
Scrapbook page from "Bushwick and her neighbors, Vol.2"
Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
American Revolutionary War
Woodbine Street (New York, N.Y.)